Sunday, January 13, 2013

Summer Splash Birthday Party

My youngest son's birthday is in the summer where as my oldest son is in the winter. I have been a lot more creative with my youngest since we can be outside and spread out rather then renting the local bounce house like we have done for my oldest. For Ben's 2nd Birthday I went with a Summer Splash theme. we brought back out the sprinklers and blow up pools, bubbles and water toys for the kids to run around with.

My biggest feat for this party was the 3D Fish cake I decided to make on my own. I describe it as gaudy cute, ha ha! The fin of the fish kept breaking and would not stay in form so in an irrational moment I ate part of the tail like I was getting even with the fish. I made rice krispie treats instead to form and freeze the tail so it had a better chance of keeping form. I got carried away with the Reece's pieces a bit trying to cover up any cracks, etc. The fish is actually sitting on top of a pizza stone I outlined in blue icing then mixed sugar and blue food coloring to look like water around it. I was so happy to be done this!

Cupcakes were also made with blue icing and Swedish fish standing up on them because I was not sure how many people the fish cake would actually feed given it was also made with the rice krisipie treats. I took a big shovel and pale I purchased from the $1 bin at Target and made "Sand" (Vanilla pudding and crumbled vanilla wafers).


The favors were mini  pales with shovels and rakes from Oriental Trading, also inside were sunglasses and mini bubbles with plastic fish on the top. All of this came in handy when we went to the beach the month after.

No comments:

Post a Comment